14 July 2009

A brief history...

Welcome to Trutrition.

My name is Nate and I'm currently a student at Appalachian State University in lovely ol' Boone, NC where I am a Food & Nutrition Science major. I've been actively reading, researching, and studying nutrition as a hobby for over three years and am excited to pursue it as a career. You'll learn more about me later.

I've created this blog with one general thing in mind: give the people the truth! Like most casual, health minded Americans, you might be thinking I know everything I need to know about eating healthy. Well... you've been misinformed. I'm about to rock your world.

Nutrition is a complex beast to tackle, and I certainly don't claim to have all the answers. Research studies are plagued with all sorts of inconsistencies, biases, and variables. The agricultural and pharmaceutical industries have the FDA and USDA wrapped around their collective finger. And let's face it! Some of us are happier not knowing.

In the 1970's, the government adopted the Nutrition Guidelines that we are familiar with today after a series of misguided steps led by lobbied scientists using those inconsistent research studies I was telling you about (more on that later). They told us to eat 2000 calories, 50g of protein, 85g of fat, and 300g of carbohydrates. For everyone. Regardless of age, race, or genetics. And we believed them. We began to consume less and less animal protein, attempted to cut out fat of all kinds, and started filling up on bread, potatoes, rice, and packaged foods just like they said. Right? What happened? Where are we today? Incidences of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis, heart disease and a host of other health issues appear more and more frequently. Two in three Americans are considered overweight and one in three is considered obese.

Please understand I'm not proposing a conspiracy theory. I'm proposing that even though they have our best interests in mind, they just didn't get it quite right. That's why I started this blog. That's why I'm going to help you sort through all the information out there to give you the truth.



4 comments:

  1. Nathan,

    It's Ben Goetz. I have orderd your first two books to check out. Have you read Eat to Live? I agree with you and Joel Fuhrman that our country has lost its mind. The food lobbyists control what is taught in schools. Nathan you need to read the 5000 Year Leap ( about the principles this country was founding on, one of the best books I have ever read). I think it will excite you and help you learn how to make a difference in our country, even in the food industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate,

    Its Eric Sapp, Just got to say this is a pretty sweet site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, i wanna know your e-mail adress, or someway to contact you...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nate, I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. I have just gotten in touch with your Mother to find out how to get up with you. I am so happy that I taught you( I hope something) and I can't be prouder of what you have accomplished. I will have to follow all your recommendations as far as nutrition and healthful foods. Had lunch with your Mother and Grand Mother yesterday and had a great time. They are such good friends. I'll keep in touch with all that you are doing. Keep working hard and it will all pay off. Regards, Noel Harris

    ReplyDelete

Please include your name when using the comment board. I like to know who's reading!